Sesuai dengan ruang lingkup materi, kalimat subjunctive yang diperkenalkan dalam bab ini adalah kalimat subjunctive yang menggunakan ‘wish’(ingin), ‘if only’ (jika,hanya jika),’would rather’(lebih suka) dan ‘as if’ atau ‘as though’ (seolah-olah). Kalimat subjunctive yang menggunakan ‘wish’ ,’if only’ dan ‘would rather’ digunakan untuk menyatakan suatu keinginan. Sedang kalimat subjunctive yang menggunakan ‘as if’ atau ‘as though’ digunakan untuk menyatakan sifat atau keadaan yang tidak benar adanya.
Bentuk Kalimat Subjunctive Dan Fakta
a. Present Subjunctive
Kalimat subjunctive ini menunjukkan pada keadaan sekarang. Kata kerja yang digunakan dalam bentuk Simple Past Tense. To be untuk semua kata ganti adalah ‘were’.
S1 + wish/if only/as though/as if/would rather + S2 +were / Verb-2
1. I wish she were here.
(faktanya : she isn’t here).
2. He wishes I went to the meeting .
(faktanya : I don’t go to the meeting).
3. If only they were my friends.
(faktanya : They aren’t my friends)
4. If only he didn’t ask me
(faktanya : He asks me).
5. I would rather you told me the news.
(faktanya : You don’t tell me the news).
6. He behaves as if he were the owner of the hotel.
(faktanya : He isn’t the owner of the hotel).
7. She stares at me as though she didn’t know me.
(faktanya : She knows me)
b. Past Subjunctive
Past Subjunctive menunjukkan pada keadaan waktu lampau.
Jadi, Kata kerja yang digunakan bentuknya Past Perfect Tense.
S + wished + S + had V3 + …
1. I wished she had been here.
(faktanya : She wasn’t here).
2. If only he hadn’t asked me.
(faktanya : He asked me).
3. She would rather he had been at home with me yesterday.
(faktanya : He wasn’t at home with me yesterday)
4. He behaved as if he had been the owner of the hotel.
(faktanya : he wasn’t the owner of the hotel).
5. She stared at me as thogh she hadn’t known me.
(faktanya : She knew me).
1. Fatimah wished … to buy the book.
A. she had enough money
B. she had had enough money
C. she has had enough money
D. she will have enough money
2. If only she … me about her problem yesterday.
B. has told
C. had told
3. I am thirsty. The subjunctive is ….
A. I wish I am not thirsty.
B. I wish I was not thirsty.
C. I wish I were not thirsty.
D. I wish I were thirsty
4. He wishes it … a holiday today.
A. had been
5. His daughter wished he … a motorcycle.
A. will have bought
B. had bought
6. My uncle wished I had not gone to the cinema. It means ….
A. I am going to go to the cinema.
B. I went to the cinema.
C. I would go to the cinema.
D. I did not go to the cinema.
7. Bram would rather his father … at BAC now.
A. has taught
B. is teaching
C. had taught
8. She acts as though she … the manager of the store.
A. is being
9. Most insurance agents would rather you … anything before an investigation.
A. don’t do
B. didn’t do
10.”I am sorry I don’t know the answer , but I really wish I ….
A. had knew
B. will knew